Summer Job Opportunity at the Alberta Band Association Library
The Alberta Band Association is currently seeking a full-time undergraduate or graduate student to fill the role of Summer Band Librarian. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Summer Band Librarian will act as the curator of the Alberta Band Association holdings, assist with library maintenance and upgrades, create recommended repertoire lists for each band level and update the Syllabus list and sight reading scores for the Provincial Festival of Bands. Areas of work include:
Managing the Alberta Band Association Catalogue:
- Culling holdings which are no longer an asset to the collection
- Updating, adding new information (including keywords), and completing the dataset for each of the titles in the collection
- Creating and appending an electronic copy of the first page or 10% (whichever is greater) of the octavo to the electronic record for each title in the collection
- Adding a label to each score with its call number, title, and composer or arranger
- Creating a system for the tracking of library loans to post-secondary students who may wish to use the scores for study purposes within their post-secondary programs of study
- Managing a social media campaign that will re-launch the R. Bruce Marsh Library and introduce the Alberta Band Association membership to the new online resource made available as a service to the band community of Alberta
- Creating a digital entry for each score in the online database
Create Updated Recommended Repertoire Lists
- Reviewing recent acquisitions to the library
- Consulting with band leaders for input
- Ensuring the lists are well balanced with respect to genre, date of composition, gender of composer, and musical style
Update the Syllabus List and the Sight Reading Scores for the Provincial Festival of Bands:
- Consulting with the Syllabus committee of the Alberta Band Association to ensure that the Syllabus is up-to-date and that the lists are well balanced with respect to genre, date of composition, gender of composer and musical style
- Consulting with the sight reading adjudicators for the Provincial Festival of Bands in 2019 to ensure that the titles that will be used at the Festival are in the library, and that there are extra scores in place for the Festival
The successful applicant will have a passion for band music and the arts and will have extensive experience in concert band, and will be a strong team player with a positive attitude. Other job requirements include:
- strong organizational skills
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- exceptional computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office (experience with Adobe Creative Suite an asset)
- the ability to prioritize tasks and budget time appropriately
- advocating for the Alberta Band Association and its programs and services
The successful candidate will work from the Alberta Band Association’s office in Edmonton and the R. Bruce Marsh Library on the University of Alberta campus for a period of 8 weeks at 30 hours per week. The 8-week period is flexible in its start and end date. Remuneration will be determined based on skills and experience.
The Alberta Band Association values diversity and inclusivity, and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or age.
To apply, please forward a resume which includes 3 references (reference letters not required) and cover letter to Kimberley Denis, Managing Director, at email@example.com.
The application deadline is Thursday, May 24, 2018.